So, over the last three weeks I’ve been telling you all about how I use my PC Plus app at No Frills to earn points towards free groceries and save money. Remember when I admitted my husband says I have to start being more frugal? Or when I had Thanksgiving for free? Or how about when I gave you some of my inadequate breakfast tips.
Well, today what I’m here to tell you is that I’m out of time. Literally. I’m so slammed that if I could work 24 hours a day I still wouldn’t get everything done. I literally bring home the kosher turkey bacon, fry it up in a pan, then I clean the pans and THEN I write about the experience. It’s so crazy (If you want to know more, follow my life on Instagram. You won’t believe where I go and what I do.)
So what is a Mom supposed to do when she’s out of time but there are baby birds who are accustomed to great food, with mouths open still in the nest (by baby birds I mean my husband, 20-year old daughter, and 15-year old son). Well, what she does is have easy-to-prepare and seemingly impressive meals on the roster. The kind that can be whipped up in minutes and/or while the chief cook and bottle washer is doing something else (not playing on the Internet. That is NOT what I do…)
We’re talking slow cooker stews, fast pastas, meal sized nachos, burger bars, and this Baked Chicken Parmesan with a super speedy tomato sauce that comes together while the chicken is cooking.
The key here is to have the ingredients for your standbys in the pantry so you can plan for the unexpected. And to make it work for you, when you’re shopping at No Frills, use your PC Plus app offers to buy multiples of the things you use often so that you can not only be stocked up in goods, but be stocked up in points too!
For example, this recipe uses canned tomatoes, olive oil, shredded cheese, breadcrumbs, pasta, and chicken breasts – all things that come up on my app. Just keep your eyes out for what you cook with regularly, and you’ll be good to go. Don’t worry. It’s not complicated. And you can freeze the chicken. You don’t have to eat it all at once.
But you might want to.
Easiest Baked Chicken Parmesan with Chunky Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti on the Side
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
What You’ll Need:
For the sauce:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large cans diced tomatoes (plain or Italian)
a splash of balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp each dried basil and oregano (omit if using Italian seasoned tomatoes)
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional)
For the chicken:
4 nice sized boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt & pepper, olive oil
1 500 g package of spaghetti
1 cup shredded Italian or your favourite blend of cheese.
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the chicken breasts but don’t dry them. Season with salt & pepper. Roll them in the seasoned breadcrumbs until well-coated.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a baking dish that’s about the right size for your chicken. Place the chicken breasts in the dish and then drizzle a little olive oil on top. Put them in the oven. They’ll take about 25 minutes to cook.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and heat the 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet with a lid. Add the onions and the garlic, and cook at medium high heat, stirring frequently until translucent and fragrant. Add the tomatoes, balsamic and herbs. Season with salt & pepper and add chili flakes if you want. Bring to the boil and turn heat down to simmer. Leave uncovered (or cover partially), stirring occasionally. If it starts to get too thick, cover completely.
- When the chicken has 5 minutes left, add the pasta to the pot. Cook to al dente.
- Remove chicken from oven, cover each with about 1/4 cup of sauce, then top with cheese (as much or little as you want. It’s your chicken!)
- Bake chicken another 10 minutes or until the cheese is all nice and melty. While it’s finishing off, drain the pasta and toss with the remaining sauce.
Get the app for iphone
Get the app for android
Get the app for Blackberry
Note: This post was sponsored by President’s Choice, No Frills, and the PC Plus app. Recipe and all opinions are my own.