Summer’s almost done but that doesn’t mean that the season’s delights have to end. Of course, I’m talking about frozen delights. Because what would summer be without ice cream
Personally, I like my ice cream any which way: plain, in a cone, with syrup, sprinkles and more. I think it’s genetic. I do believe that my Grandpa Sam ate ice cream every single day of his life until he passed away at 84 years old.
My grandpa and I are not alone. A recent survey by the President’s Choice® team uncovered this tidbit: 63% of Canadians identify ice cream as part of their ideal al fresco summer dining experience.
What’s my favourite flavour? Well, that’s a tough one. When I was younger I would have said anything with chocolate in it. But now, as I get on in years, I’m more open to different taste sensations. PC® ice cream is the way to go. They have SO many delicious flavours. I literally do a dance in November when I see the tubs of Candy Cane ice cream on display.
And this year, the ice cream shop flavours are tempting me. Yah, I could stick with ones like Peanut Butter Chocolate, but I’m tempted to go more fruity and refreshing. Like watermelon. Which is this year’s new pineapple. The flavours of this delightfully refreshing fruit are everywhere—from smoothies to drinks to salads, and yes, even frozen delights
What is more refreshing than frozen, creamy watermelon ice cream?
Watermelon ice cream sandwiches, that’s what. You need to make these. They have chocolate. And mint. They’re the everything. You won’t be able to stop eating them.
Mint Brownie Watermelon Crunch Ice Cream Sandwiches
What You’ll Need:
5 oz PC® Extra Dark Chocolate
3/4 cup Butter
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp PC® black label Pure Peppermint Extract
1/4 tsp Sea salt
1 cup flour
3 cups PC® Ice Cream Shop Flavours Watermelon Crunch Ice Cream
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. LIne two 8 x 8 inch square baking pans with parchment paper so that it overlaps the edges.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave butter and PC® Extra Dark Chocoolate for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir to melt chocolate completely. If not melted, put back in microwave and heat for 10 seconds at a time.
- Whisk in sugar, eggs, PC® black label Pure Peppermint Extract and salt. Stir in flour until just combined.
- Divide batter between prepared pans, spreading it out evenly. Bake 12-15 minutes until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Place pans in freezer until well chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Remove one pan from the freezer. Working quickly, spread the PC® Ice Cream Shop Flavours Watermelon Crunch ice cream evenly over the brownie. Remove the second brownie from the pan, discarding the parchment, and place on top of the ice cream. Plac the empty baking pan on top of the brownie stack and press down slightly.
- Place the stacked pans back into the freezer until very firm.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and take the stack out of the pan. Place on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, cut into 16 equal squares. Store the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer bag, or wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Dyiiiing of deliciousness.
Note: you can use any flavour of PC® ice cream in these sandwiches. Did you know that PC® ice creams have no artificial flavours or colours?
Recipe courtesy of President’s Choice® and Loblaws.